Recover Hacked AOL Mail Account If you are getting an instinct that security of your AOL Mail has been compromised, do not ignore it. A hacked AOL Mail account can show some clear symptoms of being compromised like problem in logging in, messages in sent mail you do not recall sending, and many more. As soon as you feel like your AOL account is being used by someone out of your knowledge, you need to apply the remedial measures. Some easy troubleshooting steps that the users can follow to recover hacked AOL Mail account are presented in this article below. Take the measures without wasting any more time so that the hackers do not get a chance block or damage your account and work permanently.
Signs that your AOL account is hacked
The following shows that the security of your AOL Mail account has been compromised.
• The password of your AOL account does not work anymore.
• Even if you mange to sign in to your account, you keep getting logged out of it
• You have emails in your sent, draft & outbox folder that you do not recall sending.
• All your folders are being emptied and you know you were not the one to do that.
• You are not able to send or receive emails.
• Your inbox is full of MAILER-DAEMON rejection notices for messages you didn't send.
• All your address book contacts have been erased and unknown contacts are added.
• You are asked to pass an image challenge during sign-in or while sending a message
• Your display name and email signature has been changed.
What to do if your AOL Mail account is hacked?
Follow the instructions given below step-by-step to recover your compromised AOL Mail account.
1. Change your password
The very first thing you need to do is change the password in order to recover hacked AOL Mail account. Steps to reset AOL Mail password are provided below:
• Go to the official login page of AOL Mail and enter your username.
• Tap the ‘sign in’ button after providing the username.
• Select the link ‘I forgot my password’.
• You will be asked again to provide your username.
• Enter the username and tap ‘next’.
• Provide the registered phone number in the specified box and click on ‘next’.
• You will receive a verification code on your number for verification.
• Enter the code and select ‘verify’.
• You can now set any password of your choice.
Note: Alternatively, you can also use your recovery email id associated with the AOL account to get the link for password reset. Other methods of password recovery are also available that can be selected by the users as per their convenience.
2. Change your Account Security Question
Simply changing your AOL Mail password is not enough. It is also recommended that you change your Account Security Question once you are logged in your account with the new password.
3. Check for spam or other inappropriate content
To make sure that the hacker has not added any spam or inappropriate content review any away messages tied to your account or any signatures you use for AOL Mail, message board posts, or comments.
4. Check your Display Name
The most common thing that the spammers do is change the display name of AOL mail account. If your display name contains the word AOL in any form, you will get an error message while trying to send emails. So, as soon as you log into your AOL mail account, check and correct your display name.
5. Scan your system for virus
Using a reliable and updated antivirus program, run a system scan to make sure there is no virus or malware in your system. The virus, malware, adware, etc are also a great threat and can provide the hackers a quick access to your AOL mail account.
6. Contact customer support
If you are still not able to perform hacked AOL Mail account recover, the only thing left to do is contact the AOL customer support
How to protect your account from future attacks?
Few safety tips to avoid any hacking incidents in the future are given here. Keep them in mind to have a secure account and happy emailing.
• Change your password from time to time.
• Also update your security answer once in a while.
• Try not to access your account from a public network.
• Always log out of your email account while using a public computer.
• Do not share your password with anyone.
• Make your password lengthy and unique and something that cannot be easily guessed or assumed by someone.
• Do not open emails received from unknown senders.
• Make sure a good antivirus program is installed in your system.